NMNStability and temperature, new info from Dr Sinclair

rhett

Stability and temperature, new info from Dr Sinclair

Post by rhett » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:31 am

In David Sinclair’s new interview with Rhonda Patrick, he mentions that NMN is not shelf stable and degrades to nicotinamide (bad news for dna repair) at room temperatures and should be kept in the refrigerator.

https://youtu.be/5DtWqzalEnc?t=3471

Anyone at ABN have more information about this? Have you considered testing your NMN over time to check its stability? What are the temperature conditions down there in the Florida warehouse?

the415

Re: Stability and temperature, new info from Dr Sinclair

Post by the415 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:26 pm

I saw that too and immediately put my nmn into the fridge. Dr Sinclair also mentioned moisture will quickly ruin NMN, I experienced this first hand with some ABN NMN that I had stored in ABN metal tin container for about a year, opened it up and there were dark spots all over it. I can't say if it was the NMN or something else in the tablet that spoiled. And Monica from ABN was SUPER cool and priority shipped me a larger bottle than I ordered, which they didn't have to do. I've since been more careful about how I store my NMN.
rhett

Post by rhett » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:59 pm

Being able to assure stability could be another big selling point for ABN vs the rando Amazon sellers.
Fred

Post by Fred » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:57 am

A supplier of NMN for laboratory research applications states in their fact sheet that storage condition for NMN should be "Below -20°C". Moisture will hydrolyze NMN to nicotinamide over time and that is why researchers change the NMN supplemented water weekly in animal studies.

I don´t know if commercial NMN differs from the research-grade form and if it is further stabilized before packaged and sold to consumers.

https://www.oycus.com/product/%CE%B2-ni ... CE%B2-nmn/
Fred
Registered dietitian, Sweden.
AUKC

Post by AUKC » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:17 am

:shock:

Is this stated anywhere on the ABN website?

If it's not, I feel like there should definitely be a helpful FAQ/facts section. Or even a stickied post on the forum :geek:
Current Dosages:
200mg Resveratrol
750mg NMN
1000mg L-Arginine
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:19 am

It says on my container just to store in a cool, dry place. And the make sure it is tightly sealed. I know there is 'pharmacy grade' NMN and food grade. I believe the food grade is more stable.

However, i will be keeping my NMN in the fridge from now on, as it won't hurt.
rhett

Post by rhett » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:19 pm

It’s tough to know what to think without timelines for different temperatures. If the freezer temps for nmn provide indefinite stability, that makes sense for labs that might order a huge supply to be used over a long time.

I think it is worth looking into temps and timelines of the abn supply chain and whether people getting regular 30 or 120 dose bottles need to be concerned about degradation.
OzSport

Post by OzSport » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:14 pm

Yup, our NMN is always stored in the fridge, as well as the NAD nasal spray!
FuryQuaker

Post by FuryQuaker » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:44 am

This is serious, because you can't know how long the NMN has been sitting on a shelf somewhere, and maybe it has been heated up under transport. This could mean that we are actually eating degraded NMN and making everything worse and spending a lot of money doing it!
AUKC

Post by AUKC » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:28 am

rhett wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:19 pm
I think it is worth looking into temps and timelines of the abn supply chain and whether people getting regular 30 or 120 dose bottles need to be concerned about degradation.
Good points. I guess in the interim the most sensible option is to just store it in the fridge anyway - is what I was going to say before considering moisture. I guess it needs to be really tightly sealed too.
Current Dosages:
200mg Resveratrol
750mg NMN
1000mg L-Arginine
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic