NMNAn old evidence that support sublingual approach for NAD+ precursor

AlbertY

An old evidence that support sublingual approach for NAD+ precursor

Post by AlbertY » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:26 pm

Saw this paper during an aging lecture: Tissue-specific regulation of SIRT1 by calorie restriction
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2492662/
Calorie restriction (CR) has been reported to increase SIRT1 protein levels in mice, rats, and humans, and elevated activity of SIRT1 orthologs extends life span in yeast, worms, and flies. In this study, we challenge the paradigm that CR induces SIRT1 activity in all tissues by showing that activity of this sirtuin in the liver is, in fact, reduced by CR and activated by a high-caloric diet. We demonstrate this change both by assaying levels of SIRT1 and its small molecule regulators, NAD and NADH, as well as assessing phenotypes of a liver-specific SIRT1 knockout mouse on various diets. Our findings suggest that designing CR mimetics that target SIRT1 to provide uniform systemic benefits may be more complex than currently imagined.
This study shows that SIRT1 activity in liver is decreased during DR and moreover, knock out SIRT1 in liver protective against physiological decline when fed a high-fat diet.

You could imagine for oral intake of NMN, most of them will be concentrated (even arrested) in the liver, which might have no effect (or even have a negative effect). Meanwhile, sublingual intake can bypass liver and deliver more NMN to other tissues.

Ph.D. student at Harvard Medical School, doing research on aging
Drdavid

Re: An old evidence that support sublingual approach for NAD+ precursor

Post by Drdavid » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:55 pm

This is a very interesting article especially since it was published in 2008. Thank you for the share and insight
drkris69

Post by drkris69 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:22 pm

Great article AlbertY. Bypassing the liver is key.
Newage

Post by Newage » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:47 pm

drkris69 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:22 pm
Great article AlbertY. Bypassing the liver is key.
All seems to confirm that Sublingual administration is by far superior which begs to ask why David Sinclair sticks with swallowing NMN capsules??
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:10 pm

I've always wondered if SL gets absorbed in the esophagus as well, i wonder what's under the tongue that is so different.
Newage

Post by Newage » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:28 pm

canadahealthy wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:10 pm
I've always wondered if SL gets absorbed in the esophagus as well, i wonder what's under the tongue that is so different.
I would think only a very small amount as it needs to be held for a period as in under the tongue.
Maybe a little more absorption in the throat if you went to the trouble of trying to gargle with it ??
ALIVEBYNATURE

Post by ALIVEBYNATURE » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:04 pm

canadahealthy wrote:
Sublingual is highest absorption due to density of capillaries near the surface, but gums and other areas in the mouth aren't far behind.

I've long had the same thought - that some % of what you swallow gets absorbed on the way down.

I'd bet that mice absorb a lot more when drinking water as they lap up with tongue, vs humans drinking out of a glass, or swallowing a capsule.
Newage

Post by Newage » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:30 pm

ALIVEBYNATURE wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:04 pm
canadahealthy wrote:
Sublingual is highest absorption due to density of capillaries near the surface, but gums and other areas in the mouth aren't far behind.

I've long had the same thought - that some % of what you swallow gets absorbed on the way down.

I'd bet that mice absorb a lot more when drinking water as they lap up with tongue, vs humans drinking out of a glass, or swallowing a capsule.
Thanks ABN.
Precisely why I swill the mixture around in my mouth for at least 10 mins after NMN Sublingual Tablets dissolve under my tongue.
I also mix my NAD+ powder in a little water for my evening intake and do the same swilling around in mouth and under tongue for at least the same amount of time..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic