NMNDoes NMN prevent common sickness?

Drdavid

Re: Does NMN prevent common sickness?

Post by Drdavid » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:01 pm

Fred wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:34 am
Drdavid wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:17 am
Using anything that modulates the immune system to work at peak performance can increase your chances at surviving.
And that is exactly what the deactivated virus particles in a vaccine does...modulates and primes the immune system to fight said viruses. A vaccine doesn´t try to kill anything, it just teaches your immune cells to do what they naturally do...kill invading pathogens.

Childhood vaccinations are saving lives all over the world as we speak. Amazing medical preventative medicine at work.
We have seen several diseases almost be wiped out because of vaccines but then they re-emerge because people were not vaccinated. There are side effects that can occur with vaccines and all medicines. One such story was just published about the chickenpox vaccine
Chickenpox vaccine reactivates in two boys, causing rare meningitis more commonly seen in unvaccinated kids
By Michael Nedelman, CNN
https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/27/health/c ... index.html

Fred

Post by Fred » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:34 pm

Yes, rare side effects can occur with all drugs and supplements but vaccines have proven their safety and efficacy and continue to save children and elderlies lives all over the world.
Fred
Registered dietitian, Sweden.
Drdavid

Post by Drdavid » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:20 am

Fred wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:34 pm
Yes, rare side effects can occur with all drugs and supplements but vaccines have proven their safety and efficacy and continue to save children and elderlies lives all over the world.
Fred,
I am not disagreeing with you on this point. Vaccines save lives period but many times when a provider gives a vaccine they fail to talk about the side effects that can occur. I would say that it is very unlikely that the parents of these two children were not verbally told that there children could end up with a brain infection. Now mind you that it is clearly printed in the pamphlet that everyone is given but we all know that very few people even open it up.

Back to the main point is that there could be some room in the NMN/NAD world regarding immune modulation.
Fred

Post by Fred » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:31 am

Yes, information is very important. But how should we act on getting information about rare side-effects? Would they, and should they, have canceled the shots if they knew of rare side-effects?

As it is now, uninformed anti-vaxers are spreading medical mistruths so we have regional outbreaks of disease that doctors haven´t seen in decades as a result. Stay-at home mums being Dr Google themselves can be very dangerous.

For example, regular NSAIDs and antibiotics can rarely cause Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis in some patients with devastating results. But for most of us, the drug just treats our illness with no such ill effects. Every drug or supplement we take should involve some informed risk-benefit analysis.

When doing a risk-benefit analysis of vaccines then https://www.vaccines.gov/ is a good credible source.
The most common side effects after vaccination are mild. They include:

Pain, swelling, or redness where the shot was given
Mild fever
Chills
Feeling tired
Headache
Muscle and joint aches
https://www.vaccines.gov/basics/safety/side_effects
Fred
Registered dietitian, Sweden.
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:33 pm

I have never included either colds or flus as being part of any significant illness... we all get our turn.

Especially when i was a smoker..

But strangely, after I quit smoking in 2003, and long before I did anything serious about diet or supplements, I haven't been sick since. Maybe one 3 day cold.

Flus are funny things in that the actual flu virus typically fools your immune system to target your body, especially your respiratory system.

Most likely if you aren't surrounded by snotty kids and take your annual flu shot, added to the new health hacking like NMN and NAD+ it can pretty much be avoided.
Drdavid

Post by Drdavid » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:44 pm

We have been getting reports from multiple people that they have stopped having stomach issues after being on NAD/NMN for 90 days. Has anyone noticed a reduction in GERD, ulcer symptoms?
the415

Post by the415 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:59 am

Drdavid wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:44 pm
We have been getting reports from multiple people that they have stopped having stomach issues after being on NAD/NMN for 90 days. Has anyone noticed a reduction in GERD, ulcer symptoms?
Yes I’ve noticed reduced gastritis symptoms after a few months of nmn 500mg supplementation. It’s been great, I’m a long time sufferer of chronic gastritis for nearly a decade. I stopped taking nmn when I had a cold for going on 5 weeks now and saw a direct negative impact for a few hours each time I took nmn. During the few weeks off nmn my stomach issues have slowly gone back to being worse but my baseline still seems better than it was. A couple months ago I drank wine for the first time in years and it was glorious. I still get occasional gerd so unclear on improvements there as gastritis was my chronic pain point.

I’m impatiently waiting for my cold to resolve so I can go back on nmn and get more stomach benefits. I’m firmly in the camp that nmn stimulates my immune system in a not good way at least once sick. I also got sick while on nmn which was a bummer and this is the worst cold I can recall of my life. My whole family got healthy weeks ago and I’m well rested and still sick. Pretty sure nmn set the clock back since my cough and sick feeling got worse after each dose.
Drdavid

Post by Drdavid » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:44 pm

the415 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:59 am
Drdavid wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:44 pm
Yes I’ve noticed reduced gastritis symptoms after a few months of nmn 500mg supplementation. It’s been great, I’m a long time sufferer of chronic gastritis for nearly a decade. I stopped taking nmn when I had a cold for going on 5 weeks now and saw a direct negative impact for a few hours each time I took nmn. During the few weeks off nmn my stomach issues have slowly gone back to being worse but my baseline still seems better than it was. A couple months ago I drank wine for the first time in years and it was glorious. I still get occasional gerd so unclear on improvements there as gastritis was my chronic pain point.

I’m impatiently waiting for my cold to resolve so I can go back on nmn and get more stomach benefits. I’m firmly in the camp that nmn stimulates my immune system in a not good way at least once sick. I also got sick while on nmn which was a bummer and this is the worst cold I can recall of my life. My whole family got healthy weeks ago and I’m well rested and still sick. Pretty sure nmn set the clock back since my cough and sick feeling got worse after each dose.
It is great to hear that your gastritis symptoms have reduced with the NMN. We have seen many patients report this as a secondary gain with NAD/NMN supplementation. It is interesting that once you became sick the NMN made you worse. Have you considered a mechanism that might make this happen?
rhett

Post by rhett » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:58 pm

Immune system activity burns through a lot of NAD, so it stands to reason that supplementing can help it keep fighting off germs effectively.
Drdavid

Post by Drdavid » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:15 pm

I agree nmn should help the immune system fight off any germs are viruses however the previous thread was talking that taking nmn when they're sick makes them worse. I have had several patients on nmn during illness and none of them has complained that it's made them worse so I was curious about the mechanism
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic