NMNOn a small side-note, would NMN help with a hangover?

AUKC

On a small side-note, would NMN help with a hangover?

Post by AUKC » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:04 pm

I don't normally drink. However I was at a wedding in China and was compelled to drink with the brides father. I woke up the next day definitely feeling it. Bad headache, weird stomach feeling, sore body.

I got up and did my usual routine, had some water and my NMN. Is it weird that within half an hour after consuming the NMN I was feeling better? Headache completely gone.

Could it be true, or just coincidence?

Current Dosages:
200mg Resveratrol
625mg NMN
1000mg L-Arginine
Newage

Re: On a small side-note, would NMN help with a hangover?

Post by Newage » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:36 pm

AUKC wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:04 pm
I don't normally drink. However I was at a wedding in China and was compelled to drink with the brides father. I woke up the next day definitely feeling it. Bad headache, weird stomach feeling, sore body.

I got up and did my usual routine, had some water and my NMN. Is it weird that within half an hour after consuming the NMN I was feeling better? Headache completely gone.

Could it be true, or just coincidence?
I believe it to be very true indeed.
NMN seems to nullify the effects of alcohol by way of increased liver function, clearing the body of the toxin (alcohol) faster and far more efficiently.
I was going to post on this some time ago but decided against it for obvious reasons.
The effects of the alcohol also seem to be diminished. I assume by the body processing it at that faster and more efficient rate.
It could be good or bad news depending on your love of fine dining and red wine🍷
I guess the question should be ask if NMN would do the same for other toxins that have been taken into or progressively accumulated in the body ?
vandan

Post by vandan » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:40 pm

Great topic. Berrocca provides Vit B used almost exclusively for this benefit - so it fits.

Personally I never used to able to drink that much alcohol. On NMN however I can drink far higher amounts. This new found skill has led me to reduce deliberatley check my intake as I started to develop gastritis...

We must use our new found superpower wisely...
Newage

Post by Newage » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:11 pm

vandan wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:40 pm
Great topic. Berrocca provides Vit B used almost exclusively for this benefit - so it fits.

Personally I never used to able to drink that much alcohol. On NMN however I can drink far higher amounts. This new found skill has led me to reduce deliberatley check my intake as I started to develop gastritis...

We must use our new found superpower wisely...
Well said Vandan.
That’s why I didn’t post months ago on this topic... :idea:
AUKC

Post by AUKC » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:47 pm

Here I was wondering why after not drinking for a long time, I was able to drink a self confessed heavy drinker, under the table.

Wouldn't advise large consumption of alcohol in the first place, but a neat thing to know if it does help suppress the effects, to be extra conscious of how much you have.
Current Dosages:
200mg Resveratrol
625mg NMN
1000mg L-Arginine
Newage

Post by Newage » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:24 am

AUKC wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:47 pm
Here I was wondering why after not drinking for a long time, I was able to drink a self confessed heavy drinker, under the table.

Wouldn't advise large consumption of alcohol in the first place, but a neat thing to know if it does help suppress the effects, to be extra conscious of how much you have.
Even though the effects of the alcohol may be discounted by taking NMN, the damage to organs including the brain may not be.
The fact that you don’t necessarily feel intoxicated by being able to drink more does not mean that internal damage is not being done by consuming the larger quantities. :cry:
AUKC

Post by AUKC » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:12 am

Yeah my point exactly too.

A glass of red wine every few weeks is about as much as I'll normally have. Though I did only drink it for the resveratrol, and I supplement that now anyway along with blueberries, pistachios and peanuts.
Current Dosages:
200mg Resveratrol
625mg NMN
1000mg L-Arginine
daviddean

Post by daviddean » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:00 am

There is a direct effect of alcohol consumption and mithocondrial health.
Here are some interesting scientific studies, where is clear how much is important to mantain an high level of NAD+ at cellular level to prevent alcoholism or help with hangover.

Alcohol (Etanol) appears to be a consuming factor of NAD+, so impairs the energy production of OXPHOS (Oxidative phosphorylation) and the electron transport chain (ETC). So is critical, to protect the efficiency of this energy pathways of cellular energy production.
The following studies analyze diverse topics on the alcohol consumption effects in several human organs and demonstrates the direct partecipation of mitochondria as potential target of compounds that can be used to prevent therapies for alcohol abusers.

Alcohol and Mitochondria: A Dysfunctional Relationship
JAN B. HOEK, ALAN CAHILL, and JOHN G. PASTORINO
[FULL TEXT HERE https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih ... s16822.pdf]

Cellular and Mitochondrial Effects of Alcohol Consumption
Salvador Manzo-Avalos and Alfredo Saavedra-Molina
[FULL TEXT HERE https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... -04281.pdf]

Status Report Concerning the Use of Megadose Nicotinic Acid in Alcoholics
Russell F. Smith, M.D.1
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/do ... 1&type=pdf

A Five-Year Field Trial of Massive Nicotinic Acid Therapy of Alcoholics in Michigan
RUSSELL F. SMITH, M.D. 1
http://www.orthomolecular.org/library/j ... 4-p327.pdf

Interesting book on the correlation between NA+ and alcoholism
Addiction: The Dark Night of the Soul/ NAD+: The Light of Hope

https://www.amazon.com/Addiction-Dark-N ... 111&sr=8-1
Fred

Post by Fred » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:01 am

This 45-year old observational study had no controls and no placebo.

There's no support in your links for your claim that high levels of NAD can "prevent alcoholism".

SEE:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=853&p=2071#p2071
Fred
Registered dietitian, Sweden.
daviddean

Post by daviddean » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:41 am

Fred, I appreciate your feedback as "Registered dietitian" but, with my all respect, my greater credit goes to researchers and to the studies I have reported.
The correlation between alcohol assumption and mithocondrial dysfunction is proved scientifically.

Its not my idea, is possible to read the reports and the books by the Orthomolecular Professor of Psychiatry Abraham Offer: this is just one of his books:
https://www.amazon.com/Vitamin-Cure-Alc ... B01EVXAF6A

Quotation from the book: "Alcoholics suffer from a nutrient deficiency, especially vitamin B3. This work outlines the nutritional factors proven successful in treating alcoholism. It can help those who suffer from alcohol addiction, their friends and loved-ones, and those in the relevant helping professions."
Note: at his time, only vitamin B3 was available as precursor of NAD+. No NR or NMN.

I report the presentation of the book I cited (Addiction: The Dark Night of the Soul/ NAD+: The Light of Hope):
"By delivering intravenous infusions of NAD+-a natural coenzyme of niacin-her treatment enables patients to kick opiates, alcohol, benzodiazepines, methamphetamines, and more, in 10 short days-with minimal withdrawal symptoms or cravings. She explains-in laymen's terms-what is known thus far about why NAD+ is effective, and shares the inspirational stories of people who have journeyed through addiction's "dark night of the soul" and found their way to health, wholeness, and freedom once again."

Where is the truth? Anybody here can attest that assuming vit B3 as niacin or nicotinamide, or other NAD+ precursors, permits to do not suffer from heavy hangovers. Could be a correlation between NAD+ and alcohol? Hmm?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic