NMNImportant question regarding extended use of NMN or NR

Tsin

Important question regarding extended use of NMN or NR

Post by Tsin » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:53 am

I know the current knowledge we have about how and why nad+ works is lacking, but there are 2 very important questions that need to be answered:

1. What happens if you suddenly stop taking it after using it for decades? Will all the gains revert and you will end up at your default age as if you never took those supplements? Maybe there is some sort of threshold on your cells and organs that prevents them from aging as long as there is enough nad+. Once we take away the nad+, it will all decay and go back to the age according to your current/low nad+ levels.

2. Lets say we have 2 twins. Both are 60 years old with the only difference between them being the fact, that one of them started taking nmn/nr at 50 years old and the other at 30 years old. Will the twin that took the supplement longer be in better shape, health and "younger"?

I am curious if the answer to those questions are already known or atleast there are some indicators that would give some clues.

AUKC

Re: Important question regarding extended use of NMN or NR

Post by AUKC » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:27 am

Some good theoretical questions. I'm sure those studying the effects of NMN have considered something along these lines.

And they've probably tried to test this in a micro world of mice who have shorter lifespans.

Interested to know if anyone has any links to some research that may be similar to his first question
Current Dosages:
200mg Resveratrol
750mg NMN
1000mg L-Arginine
Taytaytay195

Post by Taytaytay195 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:40 am

I know there have been mice studies similar to question number two. Younger mouse and older mouse. Nmn given to the older mouse. After a couple weeks scientists couldn't tell them apart. Maybe someone has a link to the study....
Tsin

Post by Tsin » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:18 am

Taytaytay195 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:40 am
I know there have been mice studies similar to question number two. Younger mouse and older mouse. Nmn given to the older mouse. After a couple weeks scientists couldn't tell them apart.
I dont think it is related to those questions. We assume nmn makes you technically younger. What we are interested in is what happens if you stop taking it and what happens if you start when you are still young naturally.
FitandHealthyinAZ

Post by FitandHealthyinAZ » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:53 pm

For me, doing the research and making the commitment to a supplement is but a part of the process. Life for me is a marathon and not a sprint so when I commit to an NMN or resveratrol protocol it is with the understanding that results will take many months to years in order to determine effectiveness. While some people question the value of using daily supplements such as NMN, there is no doubt that a lifetime of inadequate intake of vital nutrients has a wide range of negative health consequences as we age in addition to having a deleterious effect on ones longevity. So in the end, it's not a question about extended use of NMN but whether a person will commit to NMN supplementation long enough?
Pickleball101

Post by Pickleball101 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:13 am

Approaching 80 next year, the effects of NMN are probably more pronounced in me than younger subjects as Dr Sinclair has found in adding NMN to older lab mice and small test animals. He has some results with older human responses , as well, as stated in his recent release of "LIFESPAN".
Basically, my cells are older and have less memory to naturally regenerate when needed. NMN is the switch in ALL cells to turn on that process.
My levels were significantly less than that of a 21 year old, at 100%, so adding up to a gram a day of NMN restores older cells NMN level to 100%.
I've participated in this forums Clinical Trial offered last year to 40 athletes to determine what an increase in their dosage to these higher levels would be seen in their sport. Mine is Pickleball play. I went from a Low Intermediate to a mid Advanced level in 3 months, winning Silver in Tournament play against opponents 20 years my junior. Then I went back to 1/2 the dosage for the last year, of a total of 500 mg of NMN/NAD+ / day. I did feel a fall back to about mid range of my prior energy levels, but the effects of balancing my gut , glucose levels, same keto plan and intensive play has given me a sense of "wholeness". I'm been free from disease from 60-80 that kills most people, so my genes are good to go to 100+. NMN is the grease to get there with Pickleball. Without it I probably couldn't play.Ben
rhett

Post by rhett » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:30 am

Amazing report. Very glad to hear it!
Taytaytay195

Post by Taytaytay195 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:54 am

Very inspiring...
drkris69

Post by drkris69 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:02 pm

Wow Pickleball....Bravo and well done sir. I went from 500mg to 1g daily of NMN about a month ago. Im still monitoring my results form doubling my dose. Im blown away from you Picklball and your results. QUESTION,....Have you been using Alive By Nature products this whole time?? Or were there different NMN, NAD+ products that you started with?
AlbertY

Post by AlbertY » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:28 pm

These questions cannot be answered until large-scaled human trials have been done. But based on the current model of how NAD+ and sirtuin work, the answer to the first question is: unlikely. Based on the epigenetic theory of aging, aging is a result of the random events that happen after DNA damage that causes epigenetic landscape erosion. Maintain the sirtuin activity through NAD+ supplementation can help to maintain the epigenetic landscape, and thus slow down aging. As you can see, epigenetic landscape erosion is a kind of random, accumulative effect, so it is unlikely to be accelerated after stopping NAD+ supplementation.

For the second question, I don't know for NMN, but for most of the anti-aging interventions (rapamycin, acarbose, dietary restriction, hypoxia..), you will get a better effect if started treating the lab animal in an early stage of life; and they perform poorly if you started it at an old age. But it might not true for NMN, because the NAD+ level only drops down when you are older. It is possible that young people will get less benefit from it and thus make the outcomes similar between early-onset and late-onset NMN supplementation.
Ph.D. student at Harvard Medical School, doing research on aging
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic