LongevityDr Sinclairs four longevity strategies: 4. Expand Your Thermoneutral Zone

Drdavid

Re: Dr Sinclairs four longevity strategies: 4. Expand Your Thermoneutral Zone

Post by Drdavid » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:19 pm

RobSmith wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:01 am
Drdavid wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:29 am
I have been using cryotherapy tanks over the last 3 months and have seen positive changes. Less pain for sure but also a more energy throughout the day. It is much better than the cold pool!
Dr David, could I ask, do you just stay still in these cryotherapy chambers or tanks, or are you moving about trying to keep the blood pumping round the body and trying to stay warm?
No I just stand in the tank and listen to podcasts. It keeps my mind away from the cold. There is room to move about by not do exercises or anything

RobSmith

Post by RobSmith » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:49 am

Drdavid wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:19 pm
RobSmith wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:01 am
Drdavid wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:29 am
I have been using cryotherapy tanks over the last 3 months and have seen positive changes. Less pain for sure but also a more energy throughout the day. It is much better than the cold pool!
Dr David, could I ask, do you just stay still in these cryotherapy chambers or tanks, or are you moving about trying to keep the blood pumping round the body and trying to stay warm?
No I just stand in the tank and listen to podcasts. It keeps my mind away from the cold. There is room to move about by not do exercises or anything
Thanks for the reply Drdavid.
Just referring back to Dr. Sinclair's Lifespan book he writes, "Another thing you can try is activating the mitochondria in your brown fat by being a bit cold. The best way to do this might be the simplest - a brisk walk in a T-shirt on a winter day..." So it sounds like the exercise with the cold has a really good effect. For the moment I'll keep up with the 6a.m. exercise though I probably only have a couple of weeks left before it becomes too warm for any effect. Might have to try the cryo or go back to the freezing cold showers over the summer.
NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:59 pm

This is something i have always done... coming from Northern Ontario. I can even handle walking on snow in my bare feet for up to 3 minutes.... kind of a 'stupid human trick' i have done for years.
Taking:
Resveratrol 400mg since June 2019; 600mg since October 1; 800mg since January 2020
NMN Sublingual 250mg since june 2019 500mg since September 2019
NAD+ Nasal, appx 100mg per day since September 2019; 200mg per day beginning mid November
smokinjoe

Post by smokinjoe » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:51 pm

I occasionally have ice showers. I start off fairly warm, then gradually turn off the hot water, sometimes entirely. You need to control your breathing and tense your muscles... and i think 5 minutes would almost be too long.. but it is exhilarating.
Male, 41
no i don't smoke :)

taking:
NAD+ nasal since August 15, 2019
NMN powder, 125 mg per day; 625 per day since Oct 1, 2019
Resveratrol 600mg, since September 15, 2019
RobSmith

Post by RobSmith » Thu May 28, 2020 10:47 am

OzSport wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:01 pm
RobSmith wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:59 am
rhett wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:31 pm
I don’t know why this one is the absolute hardest for me. I hate hate hate being cold. I’ve learned over time
To associate exercise with positive feelings but still no luck with cold exposure.
How about trying high impact intensity training exercise outside in the winter - double the stress of being out of breath and cold at the same time. I'm going to put an exercise bike in an unheated outbuilding and will give it a try.
Cool idea, RobSmith, do keep us posted on your results!
Just an update on the above - over the last couple of weeks, temperatures in the morning have been no-where near frosty, and in the last couple of weeks I've been no-where near achieving a personal best (pb). (My pb's are based on two different exercises which I alternate each day, both based on the high intensity impact training regime, one of which measures distance over a fixed time, the other which measures energy (calories) expended over a fixed time). Whilst the cold temperatures (none below freezing point but not much above) continued to persist I was generally achieving a new pb once or twice a week. As it happens, this morning has been the coldest for the last couple of weeks (though not what I'd call anywhere near frosty) and I was only a couple of seconds off matching the pb. So I wonder if this is greater SIRT1 activation from the cold boosting the physical ability or just a sub-conscious desire to work harder to stay warm.
The one thing that has continued to improve though through the last couple of weeks is my recovery rate whereby over the 60 seconds from the end of the workout my heartbeat reduction has continued to climb (36 this morning being the most it has ever been whilst it was only 24 when I started this).
I doubt now that there will be any more cold mornings so this experiment will be paused until October/November time. In the meantime I wonder if our friends based DownUnder who might go running or cycling will notice any difference as they move into their winter?
As for me, I am going to try the NAD+ nasal spray for the first time to see what effect this might have as appears to do good things for our friend Pickleball101 (thanks for another interesting update, Ben).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic