LongevityPotential of Theaflavin 3-Gallate in black tea in anti-aging!

AlbertY

Potential of Theaflavin 3-Gallate in black tea in anti-aging!

Post by AlbertY » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:44 am

I'm very excited to see a paper published few weeks ago shows that Theaflavin 3-Gallate, a natural product found in black tea, prevented hypothalamic stem cell senescence in middle-aged mice. The treated mice, after 6 months, also showed reduced age-related cognitive and motor deficits, better insulin sensitivity, and higher bone mass. The study didn't follow them long enough to test the effect on lifespan.
https://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/fu ... 20)30002-4

Ph.D. student at Harvard Medical School, doing research on aging
AlbertY

Re: Potential of Theaflavin 3-Gallate in black tea in anti-aging!

Post by AlbertY » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:51 am

Most of you might never heard of hypothalamic stem cell. hypothalamic neuronal stem cell, aka htNSC, is a group of stem cells located in the hypothalamus. One paper published in 2017 first shows that the numbers of htNSCs decreased during aging and by replenishing htNSCs in mice, it is sufficient to reverse age-related phenotypes in old mice.

This is the topic that I followed since that time, I have a feeling that the neuroendocrine system is the breakthrough point of anti-aging. Imagine you don't need to reverse aging in all of your millions of cells to reverse aging, you just need to manipulate a small population of cells in your brain...
AlbertY

Post by AlbertY » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:57 am

htNSC regulates aging by secreting small vesicles (exosomes) containing RNAs, I believe the beneficial effect of young blood infusion at least partially come from here. Interested to see whether NAD+ can help maintain htNSC as well, since NAD+ generally maintain stemcells, maybe I should just suggest them to look into it 🤔.
drkris69

Post by drkris69 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:04 pm

Thank you Albert
ALIVEBYNATURE

Post by ALIVEBYNATURE » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:44 pm

thanks albert- very interesting. I share your intuition that hypothalamus may be a key regulator of aging.

You probably know about this study below. It shows very small dose of NAD+ enters hypothalamus intact and restores NAD+ levels. Hope to see more longer term studies on this soon.

Exogenous nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide regulates energy metabolism via hypothalamic Connexin 43

In this study, administration of LABELED NAD+ by IP and IV injection demonstrated that exogenous NAD+ crosses the blood brain barrier to enter the hypothalamus INTACT, reduces hunger and weight gain, and increases energy expenditure and fat burning in mice.

This study shows that NAD+ levels in the blood have a direct effect on the levels of metabolic activity in the body.

In mice, exogenous NAD may be transported to the hypothalamus via Cx43 at the blood-brain barrier [48] thereby increasing hypothalamic NAD content and decreasing food intake and weight gain.
p75213

Post by p75213 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:47 am

Seems theaflavin 3-gallate is not available as a standalone supplement.
AlbertY

Post by AlbertY » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:10 am

ALIVEBYNATURE wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:44 pm
thanks albert- very interesting. I share your intuition that hypothalamus may be a key regulator of aging.

You probably know about this study below. It shows very small dose of NAD+ enters hypothalamus intact and restores NAD+ levels. Hope to see more longer term studies on this soon.

Exogenous nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide regulates energy metabolism via hypothalamic Connexin 43

In this study, administration of LABELED NAD+ by IP and IV injection demonstrated that exogenous NAD+ crosses the blood brain barrier to enter the hypothalamus INTACT, reduces hunger and weight gain, and increases energy expenditure and fat burning in mice.

This study shows that NAD+ levels in the blood have a direct effect on the levels of metabolic activity in the body.

In mice, exogenous NAD may be transported to the hypothalamus via Cx43 at the blood-brain barrier [48] thereby increasing hypothalamic NAD content and decreasing food intake and weight gain.
Thank you! This paper is very important evidence that shows NAD+ can pass blood-brain-barrier and plays a role in brain health.
Drdavid

Post by Drdavid » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:10 am

Very interesting that the hypothalamic axis could alter aging. It stands to reason with the cascade of hormones that are downstream. Seeing this just gives me another reason to use the NAD+ spray!
Thank you both for the research
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:30 pm

I've always 'heard' that taking milk with tea cancels out a lot of the benefits of tea?

Is anyone aware of studies showing evidence of this?

My bladder cannot deal with milk-free tree.
AlbertY

Post by AlbertY » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:55 pm

canadahealthy wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:30 pm
I've always 'heard' that taking milk with tea cancels out a lot of the benefits of tea?

Is anyone aware of studies showing evidence of this?

My bladder cannot deal with milk-free tree.
I don't think so, a very recent epi study shows drinking low-fat milk -- both nonfat and 1% milk -- is significantly associated with less aging in adults.
"It's not a bad thing to drink milk," Tucker said. "You should just be more aware of what type of milk you are drinking."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 120634.htm
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic