LongevitySynergistic effects of melatonin and resveratrol: they both activate sirtuins

Fred

Synergistic effects of melatonin and resveratrol: they both activate sirtuins

Post by Fred » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:23 am

Interesting if resveratrol and melatonin may potentiate each other and more strongly activate sirtuins. Would make those two molecules almost essential to use with NAD precursors for optimal effect.

I take 2 mg prescription prolonged-release melatonin (Circadin) and today ordered micronized trans-resveratrol powder to use per the Sinclair Protocol (see viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1214&start=10).
Caloric restriction, resveratrol and melatonin: Role of SIRT1 and implications for aging and related-diseases

Highlights

• Caloric restriction slow aging and improve late-life health.

• Several benefits of caloric restriction on aging are due to sirtuins.

• Resveratrol and melatonin promote sirtuin 1 protein expression.

• Melatonin and resveratrol are natural compounds present in several foods.

• The consumption of these agents in the diet may promote health.
Resveratrol, a polyphenol found in red grapes, was first known for its antioxidant and antifungal properties, and subsequently has been reported several biological effects, including the activation of sirtuins. Endogenously-produced melatonin, a powerful free radical scavenger, declines with age and its loss contributes to degenerative conditions of aging.

Recently, it was reported that melatonin also activates sirtuins, in addition to other functions, such as regulator of circadian rhythms or anti-inflammatory properties. The fact that melatonin and resveratrol are present in various foods, exhibiting possible synergistic effects, suggests the use of dietary ingredients to promote health and longevity
www.sci-hub.se/10.1016/j.mad.2015.03.008

smokinjoe

Re: Synergistic effects of melatonin and resveratrol: they both activate sirtuins

Post by smokinjoe » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:26 pm

Interesting.

I think i will definitely get some melatonin and just not take it near bed time, which is something i already avoid with NMN. so another prohealth substance.
Male, 41
no i don't smoke :)

taking:
NAD+ nasal since August 15, 2019
NMN powder, 125 mg per day; 625 per day since Oct 1, 2019
Resveratrol 600mg, since September 15, 2019
Fred

Re: Synergistic effects of melatonin and resveratrol: they both activate sirtuins

Post by Fred » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:07 pm

smokinjoe wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:26 pm
Interesting.

I think i will definitely get some melatonin and just not take it near bed time, which is something i already avoid with NMN. so another prohealth substance.
You should take melatonin near bedtime. It is a sleep promoting hormone that you naturally release from your pineal gland when your brain detects darkness (it starts rising in blood at 20.00).

If you take melatonin in the daytime it can make you drowsy and mess with your circadian rhythm.

At 21 or 22 are good times to enhance your natural production of melatonin.
CharlesF

Post by CharlesF » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:43 am

When you say 21 or 22 are you referring to the time? 2100 or 2200 hours (9 or 10 PM) or something else?
Fred

Post by Fred » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:57 am

CharlesF wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:43 am
When you say 21 or 22 are you referring to the time? 2100 or 2200 hours (9 or 10 PM) or something else?

Yes, the time. I use 24 hours to measure time since there are 24 hours in a day, not two separate blocks of 12 hours. It's a cultural thing I guess.
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:43 pm

Fred wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:07 pm
smokinjoe wrote:
Interesting.

You should take melatonin near bedtime. It is a sleep promoting hormone that you naturally release from your pineal gland when your brain detects darkness (it starts rising in blood at 20.00).

If you take melatonin in the daytime it can make you drowsy and mess with your circadian rhythm.

I know I should take it near bed time, i just hate the awful sleep it gives me.

What if I took 2 smaller doses earlier in the day?
Fred

Post by Fred » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:00 pm

canadahealthy wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:43 pm
Fred wrote:
smokinjoe wrote:
Interesting.

Do you get nightmares or how do you mean awful sleep? Even 0.3 mg affects circadian rhythm. Try 0.3 or 0.5 mg and see how that works. That is more than enough if high dose (supraphysiological doses) of melatonin (1 mg+) gives you side effects.
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:58 pm

Fred wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:00 pm
canadahealthy wrote:
Fred wrote:

Do you get nightmares or how do you mean awful sleep? Even 0.3 mg affects circadian rhythm. Try 0.3 or 0.5 mg and see how that works. That is more than enough if high dose (supraphysiological doses) of melatonin (1 mg+) gives you side effects.
Thanks Fred
It just gives me a lousy sleep, waking up every 45 minutes throughout the night. It's like i never actually get into a REM sleep.
NewLifeScience

Post by NewLifeScience » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:41 pm

canadahealthy wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:58 pm
It just gives me a lousy sleep, waking up every 45 minutes throughout the night. It's like i never actually get into a REM sleep.
i never found it useful for sleep, but we need it to stay young and beautiful :D
Taking:
Resveratrol 400mg since June 2019; 600mg since October 1; 800mg since January 2020
NMN Sublingual 250mg since june 2019 500mg since September 2019
NAD+ Nasal, appx 100mg per day since September 2019; 200mg per day beginning mid November
Fred

Post by Fred » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:06 pm

canadahealthy wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:58 pm
Fred wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:00 pm
canadahealthy wrote:

Thanks Fred
Perhaps try the time-release melatonin that Natrol makes. But it sounds like it is not for you. You make melatonin so no need to take extra if it gives you side effects.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic