LongevityDr Sinclairs four longevity strategies: 4. Expand Your Thermoneutral Zone

Fred

Dr Sinclairs four longevity strategies: 4. Expand Your Thermoneutral Zone

Post by Fred » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:08 pm

4. Expand Your Thermoneutral Zone

Can being cold activate the mitochondria in your brown fat? If so, this might be the easiest step to achieve, so long as we’re willing to set aside a few modern notions of what “comfortable” means, by forcing our bodies to exist — far more often that we typically do — outside the thermoneutral zone, the range of temperatures that human bodies can withstand without a significant shift in metabolism.

My interest in the potential health benefits of cold therapy began in 2008 with a chance meeting at TEDMED with Ray Cronise, a former NASA scientist turned expert in nutrition and bioenergetics. This led to our first paper together with Andrew Bremmer at the NIH, titled "The ‘‘Metabolic Winter’’ Hypothesis: A Cause of the Current Epidemics of Obesity and Cardiometabolic Disease.”

We proposed that our 7-million-year evolutionary history, which was dominated by two seasonal challenges, led to calorie scarcity and mild cold stress. But in the “last 0.9 inches of our evolutionary mile, we solved them both.” Put another way, we may be in evolutionary discordance between our biology that evolved to counter seasonal calorie scarcity and mild cold stress and our modern world of ubiquitous calories and excess warmth. Very few of us experience the outdoor cold of winter, and even fewer of us sleep at cool temperatures.

Based on my reading and research, I like to leave a window slightly open at night and avoid heavy blankets while I sleep. I don’t turn the thermostat above 69, and I turn it down to 67 at night. I find I work better and sleep better. At the gym, I plunge myself up to my neck into a cold pool for at least 20 seconds (yes, I’m a wimp compared to Wim Hof, who climbs cold mountains in bare feet) but I do feel refreshed and energized for the rest of the day and expect my healthy brown fat to be turning even browner.

https://lifespanbook.com/4-intervention ... 8-72616753

Fred
Registered dietitian, Sweden.
rhett

Re: Dr Sinclairs four longevity strategies: 4. Expand Your Thermoneutral Zone

Post by rhett » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:31 pm

I don’t know why this one is the absolute hardest for me. I hate hate hate being cold. I’ve learned over time
To associate exercise with positive feelings but still no luck with cold exposure.
Fred

Post by Fred » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:37 pm

rhett wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:31 pm
I don’t know why this one is the absolute hardest for me. I hate hate hate being cold. I’ve learned over time
To associate exercise with positive feelings but still no luck with cold exposure.
Good I'm not the only one. We can only do this to personal tolerance. But perhaps lowering the indoor temperature slowly to tolerance is one approach. And to sleep with light blankets/bedding.
Fred
Registered dietitian, Sweden.
OzSport

Post by OzSport » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:15 am

Fred wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:37 pm
rhett wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:31 pm
Good I'm not the only one. We can only do this to personal tolerance. But perhaps lowering the indoor temperature slowly to tolerance is one approach. And to sleep with light blankets/bedding.
Yeah, it's a tricky one! That's a good suggestion, Fred - lowering the temperature bit by bit until one's own personal tolerance level adjusts to it...that's much easier to adapt than "ripping the band-aid" completely off! I tried once with a really cold shower...never did it again, haha! :D
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:18 pm

Well, i was born in Northern Ontario so I am often outside in -20 weather in a t-shirt, as long as the task is under 5 minutes.

I do not equate that with a 20 second plunge into very cold water, but i know I could last a couple minutes.

I am going to give it a try... i bet my belly will tell me if it is going any good... by possibly shrinking. :D
drkris69

Post by drkris69 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:59 am

Ive tried ice baths in the past and I find it takes a certain mental attitude to accomplish this. I hate being cold as well.
Drdavid

Post by Drdavid » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:08 am

Fred wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:08 pm
4. Expand Your Thermoneutral Zone

Can being cold activate the mitochondria in your brown fat? If so, this might be the easiest step to achieve, so long as we’re willing to set aside a few modern notions of what “comfortable” means, by forcing our bodies to exist — far more often that we typically do — outside the thermoneutral zone, the range of temperatures that human bodies can withstand without a significant shift in metabolism.

My interest in the potential health benefits of cold therapy began in 2008 with a chance meeting at TEDMED with Ray Cronise, a former NASA scientist turned expert in nutrition and bioenergetics. This led to our first paper together with Andrew Bremmer at the NIH, titled "The ‘‘Metabolic Winter’’ Hypothesis: A Cause of the Current Epidemics of Obesity and Cardiometabolic Disease.”

We proposed that our 7-million-year evolutionary history, which was dominated by two seasonal challenges, led to calorie scarcity and mild cold stress. But in the “last 0.9 inches of our evolutionary mile, we solved them both.” Put another way, we may be in evolutionary discordance between our biology that evolved to counter seasonal calorie scarcity and mild cold stress and our modern world of ubiquitous calories and excess warmth. Very few of us experience the outdoor cold of winter, and even fewer of us sleep at cool temperatures.

Based on my reading and research, I like to leave a window slightly open at night and avoid heavy blankets while I sleep. I don’t turn the thermostat above 69, and I turn it down to 67 at night. I find I work better and sleep better. At the gym, I plunge myself up to my neck into a cold pool for at least 20 seconds (yes, I’m a wimp compared to Wim Hof, who climbs cold mountains in bare feet) but I do feel refreshed and energized for the rest of the day and expect my healthy brown fat to be turning even browner.

https://lifespanbook.com/4-intervention ... 8-72616753
Here is some research that can somewhat back this up:

Being cool: how body temperature influences ageing and longevity
Gerald Keil, Elizabeth Cummings, and João Pedro de Magalhães
Biogerontology 2015: 16(4):383-397
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4486781/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic