LongevityA horrific but telling story of longevity

ChrisBON

A horrific but telling story of longevity

Post by ChrisBON » Fri May 15, 2020 10:09 pm

years ago, during the 80s, I remember watching a TV special about longevity. It was about a series of studies trying to sort out 'who' was likely to live to a great age.

This was before telomeres were discovered and the results essentially two groups:

- people with long lived parents
- people who for some reason has lost roughly 1/3 of their body weight.

There was no 'aha' moment it was just something the researchers noticed.

I also remember reading a similar article in the 90s that discussed groups of people in certain parts around the mediterranean, possibly a small island off Japan, people with long lived parents, and again people who for one reason or another had lost 1/3 of their body weight.

Of course with what we know now, any fast, whether due to illness, famine or worse, if you survived, could confer this benefit.

I finally worked up the courage to research whether survivors of the holocaust, where from the pictures the victims who survived had been starved almost to death.

It seems that they live, on average, over 7 years longer than the general population. That is a staggering number... i don't know how many standard deviations 7 years makes but it is huge. Many of these people have lasting health problems due to the horrendous treatment they experienced, and still outlive others by this degree.

Some groups are studying whether it has something to so with trauma, but i think it is simply the calorie restriction. Our bodies rebuild themselves in calorie restriction situations.

(I truly hope that no one is offended by this post. I was simply curious if being so close to starvation would result in a long life afterwards, and it seems it does. If anyone is, I apologise and will delete it.)

https://www.timesofisrael.com/holocaust ... tudy-says/

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countr ... study-says

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... ved-longer

Taking:
NMN since June, 2019 (started at 250mg, 500mg as of Oct 1st)
NAD+ nasal spray since July, 2019
Resveratrol since Sept 2019
Astaxanthin 10mg since October 20th
Blueberry concentrate 500 mg since October 20th
Berberine 250 mg since October 20th
canadahealthy

Re: A horrific but telling story of longevity

Post by canadahealthy » Sat May 16, 2020 1:51 pm

Yes, this is a very sensitive topic.

But if any good can come out of it, it did for the victims, in that they have had longer lives.

I there was a time where i was quite over weight. I am tall, so it wasn't obvious to everyone how bad it was, but i could have afforded to lose close to a third of my weight.

I think though, if we can accomplish these processes (sirt1 activation, cell senescence, stem cell regeneration) with molecules it is a far safer way to go.

It is still unthinkable that such an event happened. Today i see things in certain countries that remind me that ideology can replace thinking or common sense, but it is still unfathomable that it could happen the way it did back then.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic