IV ClinicsThe functioning of mitochondria is well situated as one of the processes that might unify intelligence, health and aging

daviddean

The functioning of mitochondria is well situated as one of the processes that might unify intelligence, health and aging

Post by daviddean » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:31 am

General intelligence (g) represents the factors that influence performance across all academic and cognitive domains. The search for these factors has been ongoing for more than a century and has focused on the brain and cognitive systems that support learning and problem solving. In recent decades, it has become clear that the factors that influence academic and cognitive performance extend to general health and to successful aging in adulthood. The implication is that there may be one or several fundamental processes that influence the functioning of all biological systems, not simply the brain. The functioning of mitochondria is well situated as one of the processes that might unify intelligence, health, and aging. These organelles are located within cells and are the primary producers of cellular energy, among other functions. Energy availability, in turn, is the lowest common denominator needed for the development, maintenance, and optimal functioning of all biological systems. Here, I review the relations among intelligence, health, and aging and outline how the efficiency of mitochondrial functioning can link them together.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.117 ... 1419829719

CeeJayBee

Re: The functioning of mitochondria is well situated as one of the processes that might unify intelligence, health and a

Post by CeeJayBee » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:54 pm

I can see your abstract, how do i get to see the article?
AlbertY

Re: The functioning of mitochondria is well situated as one of the processes that might unify intelligence, health and a

Post by AlbertY » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:18 pm

CeeJayBee wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:54 pm
If it is not an Open Access journal and you didn't subscribe to it, you can not see the full article principally. However, you can always find the full-text on Sci-hub.
https://sci-hub.tw/
Ph.D. student at Harvard Medical School, doing research on aging
canadahealthy

Post by canadahealthy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:49 pm

Wow!

This is an incredible tool. You can view scholarly scientific articles behind a fire/pay wall by entering the URL of the published article into https://sci-hub.tw/

This is huge! Thank You!
vandan

Post by vandan » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:34 pm

daviddean wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:31 am
General intelligence (g) represents the factors that influence performance across all academic and cognitive domains. The search for these factors has been ongoing for more than a century and has focused on the brain and cognitive systems that support learning and problem solving. In recent decades, it has become clear that the factors that influence academic and cognitive performance extend to general health and to successful aging in adulthood. The implication is that there may be one or several fundamental processes that influence the functioning of all biological systems, not simply the brain. The functioning of mitochondria is well situated as one of the processes that might unify intelligence, health, and aging. These organelles are located within cells and are the primary producers of cellular energy, among other functions. Energy availability, in turn, is the lowest common denominator needed for the development, maintenance, and optimal functioning of all biological systems. Here, I review the relations among intelligence, health, and aging and outline how the efficiency of mitochondrial functioning can link them together.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.117 ... 1419829719
I just love it when research leads us to the crux of issues, eureka moments. So often we get distracted from the bigger picture.
OzSport

Post by OzSport » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:40 pm

AlbertY wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:18 pm
CeeJayBee wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:54 pm
If it is not an Open Access journal and you didn't subscribe to it, you can not see the full article principally. However, you can always find the full-text on Sci-hub.
https://sci-hub.tw/
Wow, that's a great link, very useful! Thank you, AlbertY!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic